Sunday, February 23, 2014

BOOK REVIEW : A Diamond Mine Christmas by Jennifer Traveler

A Diamond Mine ChristmasA Diamond Mine Christmas by Jennifer Traveler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Geneva, in fear for her life after being the star witness for the prosecution on a big drug case, decides to take a job as a cook for dozens of rough and ready miners at a diamond mine just a couple of hundred miles shy of the arctic circle. As remote as it is, and accessible only by air, Geneva figures it's the safest place on earth.

Immediately she is attracted to mine foreman, Jack Walker, as strong as he's hot and sure to protect her. But something's not right – things start to go missing from the kitchen, stuff's being moved, and some of the mens' rooms have been broken into. Who can she trust? Jack? Anybody?

This is a really different Holiday romance novella! It has all the usual hallmarks of a good romance with the tension and sparks between the main characters, but the setting – a diamond mine in the frozen north – mixed in with a mafia murder mystery, makes for a great read with a difference. I wasn't going to read this book, to be honest – didn't think it would be Christmassy enough for me, since I'm such a geek – but I'm glad I did. Once in a while read something you wouldn't normally read, like I did this one, and you might be in for a pleasant surprise, just like I was.

With tight writing, lean prose, a few little twists and turns, and good dialog, I really enjoyed this novella and look forward to reading more form Jennifer Traveler.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment